With the world evolving and people going to places for either work or pleasure, language is no more of a barrier with the assistance of a translator/ interpreter. In fact, a translator’s job is considered as a lucrative career option. The emergence of numerous centers facilitating courses only goes to show the opportunities available in this field worldwide as a full-time job or a freelancer. Many of these centers based out of the cities in India provide translation services in Mumbai, Delhi, Pune and a few namely. Some of the types of translation services are technical, scientific, financial, legal, judicial, certified, and literal.
Doing a course in translation always acts as a bonus. But before deciding on a course, it is important to understand what a translator does and the difference between a translator and an interpreter. A translator is someone who construes the written text and usually works with either a printed form of text or a recording; whereas an interpreter tries to orally translate verbal text to the best of their ability.
Points to remember while choosing to study translation.
- There is a difference between doing a language course and translation course.
- A good command over at least two languages is essential I.e. the source and the target language. The source language is the text which you’re translating from and the target language being the language you are translating to.
- A flair for writing along with computer skills acts as an advantage.
Types of Translation Courses
India has an abundant amount of universities and institutes that offer short-term and long-term courses in translation. They also provide translation services in Mumbai, Delhi, the metropolitan cities.The courses range from certificate level to master’s and go all the way to Ph.D. level.
- PhD-level course- In order to do a PhD., a person should have completed their Masters in Translation studies. This course basically lets individuals conduct research in the translation field.
- Master-level course- To do a Master’s degree, an individual has to have a bachelor’s degree in any discipline. The interest and love for words should be a perquisite.
- Degree-level course- A degree course often takes individuals who have completed their 10+2. A true passion for languages and keen listening goes a long way!
- Certificate-level course- Any individual with a minimum of 10+2 qualification can enroll for it. It can be done when you want to enter the field of translation. It helps in landing a job as a full-timer or freelancer.
Top Universities to Pursue a Translation Course in India
India has an abundant amount of universities and institutes that offer short-term and long-term courses in translation. The courses range from certificate level to master’s and go all the way to Ph.D. level.
There are a few private universities and various foreign embassies offering translation courses in major cities of India. They also provide translation services in Mumbai, Delhi, the metropolitan cities. Some of the well-known institutes and universities for translation courses and language courses are:
- School of Languages – Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- The Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture, Kolkata
- Symbiosis Institute of Foreign Languages (SIFL), Pune
- TEI Academy, Bangalore
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Savitribai Phule University (University of Pune), Pune
- Alliance Française de New Delhi, New Delhi
- Amity School of Languages, Noida
- University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Instituto Hispania, New Delhi
- Rajasthan University, Jaipur
- English Fountain, Thane
The English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad
The future prospects are rewarding with proper education and work ethics. Initially, the remuneration might be on the lower end, but once you have proven your metal, it is a money-spinning field with job opportunities from the U.N, European Commission, and other well-reputed organizations. India is a fast-growing nation with plentiful of foreign direct investments, which leads to increased interactions with international companies, organizations, and delegates. A sound knowledge of languages with proper education and experience is the key to success.